Saturday, August 25, 2012

What Dreams May Come

Ghandi was a lawyer who decided one day to be a peacemaker. Mother Theresa was a girl from a small town who decided one day to devote her life to the poorest of the poor. Florence Nightingale came from a prosperous family, but decided one day to spend her life tending to wounded war vets.My philosophy on life is this: Be both a dreamer and a doer.To do only one is a waste of life.

You see, a dreamer dreams and never does. A doer does and never dreams. I dream big, and then, i do.
It doesn't change anything to just dream about, talk about , or think about anything, unless you are going to DO something with it. I can't tell you how frustrating it is too know someone with no goals in life. And i've known many. I've known even more who have goals, but never put forth the effort to achieve them.They just sit around talking about their plans, or day dream- and that's all.

Charlse Shultz was quoted as saying he has no goals in life. But in his endeavor to create the Peanuts, his goals had to be to make people laugh.On the contrary, i rather like Henry Ford's quote: "Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off the goal". In other words, step outside the box. Be fearless. Get out of your comfort zone. And here's one from Donald Trump that is near & dear to my heart...."Think big. You have to think anyway, so why not think big?"

Let me say this. I have spent a lifetime so far reading & researching the autobiographies of people who have changed the world and/or are household names- good or bad. All have one thing in common. They did something.They didn't think it, or just dream it, or just talk about it. Now, i don't have any desire to be famous. But i do have a desire to have an impact on the world around me- a positive impact. I want to leave a legend. Not my name, not my debt, not just memories.Something tangible & real. And in my case, something that helped someone other than myself.

I don't have a goal to make lots of money, be famous, or be the best parent ..those are for other people.
My goal is simply this-Not to waste the life i was given, but to be the best i can be---- to and for those around me.
And when my body is resting in that coffin, i want to be at peace knowing i did all i could, no excuses-- and that my life will speak for itself.

No comments: